Van Thanh temple is located at 94, Sinh Trung Street, Van Loi Village, Van Thanh district of Nha Trang City in the Khanh Hoa Province. The temple is situated at the foot of Sinh Trung Mountain with its back towards the mountain and the front facing a wide space to the southeast. There is a large rock under the Indian banyan Tree on the left side. The temple is prominent, with an ancient roof and a sophisticated relief.
The construction time of the Van Thanh temple is unclear. According to the official ordinance, the temple was built before 1850. At present, the temple still remains with 12 ordinances of the Nguyen Dynasty:
- The Bach Ma ordinance in the third year of Tu Duc in 1850
- The Ban Canh Thanh Hoang ordinance in the 5th year of Tu Duc in 1852;
- The Thien Y A Na ordinance in the 5th year of Tu Duc in 1852
- The Thien Y A Na ordinance in the 33rd year of Tu Duc in 1880
- The Bach Ma ordinance in the 33rd year of Tu Duc in 1880
- The Thien Y A Na ordinance in the 2nd year of Dong Khanh in 1887
- The Bản Canh Thanh Hoang ordinance in the 2nd year of Dong Khanh in 1887
- The Thien Y A Na ordinance in the 3rd year of Duy Tan in 1909
- The Bach Ma and Thanh Hoang ordinances in the 3rd year of Duy Tan in 1909
- The Thanh Hoang ordinance in the 9th year of Khai Dinh in 1924
- The Thiên Y A Na ordinance in the 9th year of Khai Dinh in 1924
- The Bạch Mã ordinance in the 9th year of Khai Dinh in 1924
The relics have the following buildings: the gates and fences, a brick yard covered by cement, a main temple, and temples for the elders and the princess. The main temple is built of laterite, brick, cement, with a wooden frame in the Nhi (二) letter shape. It consists of the front hall and the main hall, which are connected by a gutter. The overall relics include the Thien Y A Na temple on the right and the Temple of martyrs on the left. The temple of the elders was built with a style of 4 walls with 2 spaces. The exterior space is opened to serve as the meeting place. The interior space is divided into 2 parts, with the residence of the temple guard on the right and the temple of the elders on the left. The temple of the princess is located behind the main temple and has a simple style and decor. There are some items for worshiping, such as lampstands, incense burners and ceramic plates. The festival of the Van Thanh temple is celebrated on the 15th of the lunar August every year.